This Zoning Ordinance is adopted to preserve and promote the public health, safety, peace, comfort, convenience, prosperity, and general welfare of the citizens of Harrison County, Iowa, all in accordance with and as permitted by the provisions of Chapter 335, Code of Iowa, as amended. More specifically, the Ordinance is adopted in order to achieve the following objectives:
- To provide a precise plan for the physical development of the County in such a manner as to achieve progressively the general arrangement of land uses depicted in the Land Use Plan.
- To foster a harmonious, convenient, workable relationship among local uses and a wholesome, serviceable, and attractive living environment.
- To promote the stability of existing land uses which conform with objectives and policies of the Land Use Plan to protect them from inharmonious influences and harmful intrusions.
- To ensure that public and private lands ultimately are used for the purposes which are most appropriate and most beneficial from the standpoint of the County.
- To promote the beneficial development of those areas which exhibit conflicting patterns of use.
- To prevent excessive population densities and overcrowding of the land with structures.
- To promote a safe, effective traffic circulation system.
- To foster the provisions of adequate off-street parking and truck loading facilities.
- To facilitate the appropriate location of public facilities and institutions.
- To protect and promote appropriately located agricultural, commercial, and industrial pursuits in order to preserve and strengthen the County's economic base.
- To protect and enhance real property values.
- To conserve the County's natural assets and to capitalize on the opportunities offered by its terrain, soils, vegetation, and waterways.
- To coordinate policies and regulations relating to the use of land with such policies and regulations of incorporated municipalities of the County in order to: facilitate transition from county to municipal jurisdiction that land which is first developed in an unincorporated area and is subsequently annexed to a municipality; foster the protection of farming operations in areas of planned urban expansion, and ensure unimpeded development of such new urban expansion that is logical, desirable, and in accordance with objectives and policies of the Land Use Plan.
© 2017 Harrison County, Iowa